December is upon us, which can only mean one thing… The countdown to Christmas has begun! December in Cambridgeshire is full of cosy nights by warm fires, accompanied by hot drinks, good company and festive spirits. If you’re not too full from the mince pies, visit us at Six Panoramic Bar and Brasserie Cambridge for a three course festive feast. View our menu and book here.
Cambridge’s biggest and most beautiful Christmas markets have opened their gates to the community as the festive season truly begins. For those amongst you who do not want to travel to Germany, Prague or even London to get your festive fix, we’ve compiled a list of 5 winter wonderlands to visit before Christmas to get you into the spirits of December.
1. The North Pole Cambridge – 17th November to 11th January
Between the 17th November and the 8th January, the North Pole will return to Parker’s Piece, Cambridge. Now in its sixth year, the event is an ideal opportunity to meet up with friends and family over the festive period and even host a Christmas Party with a difference. You’ll find a wide array of family-friendly activities including ice skating, winter fun rides including a Ferris wheel, an undercover alpine bar and plenty of food and drink to get you into the Christmas spirit. Booking ahead for ice skating is recommended.
2. Mill Road Winter Fair – 2nd December
The local Christmas fair that is close to the hearts of people across Cambridge and the wider Cambridgeshire community. Attracting over 10,000 visitors per year, this humble fair is known for its unique charm and atmosphere. Saturday 2nd December will see Mill Road transformed from a busy road full of culture and cool things, into a hustling, bustling festive fair.
3. Peterborough Christmas Market – 8th December to 23rd December
This years Peterborough Christmas market will be taking place on the Cathedral Square, which holds a real place in the hearts of the local community. The perfect venue for a Christmas market, the event promises to bring together all the family to share in some seasonal cheer and joy. Visitors to the market will enjoy strolling through beautiful wooden chalets, featuring bespoke gifts alongside traditional festive treats. Enjoy a beautiful light display whilst enjoying mulled wine, churros, sugared almonds and German bratwurst. It’s enough to get anyone into the Christmas cheer.
4. March Christmas Fair – 3rd December
Visitors to the market can look forward to indulging their senses in all things festive from roasted chestnuts to hot chocolate baileys liquor to a live brass band. There are a wide range of stalls offering quality gifts and plenty of seasonal food to tempt your taste buds. The March Christmas fair is truly a unique opportunity to find a special gift for a loved one, whilst enjoying all the food that the market has to off.
5. Winter Wonderland & Hot Gin Pop Up Bar at The Varsity Hotel
This year, the rooftop terrace at The Varsity Hotel in Cambridge city centre will be hosting a unique festive experience. On the 6th December, the rooftop bar in Cambridge will be transformed into a hot gin pop up bar boasting an impressive menu of over 30 different varieties of gin. Candle lit lamps will be scattered, alongside warming blankets and cosy cushions, dashed with festive colours.
The menu will feature four festive cocktails:
- Gin Based Mulled Wine: an adaption of the traditional festive tipple with gin, which is then coupled with the gentle warmth of cloves and lemon slices, and served in a wine glass
- GIN OrangEsque: served in a typically British afternoon tea cup, this cocktail combines gin with heated orange juice and honey, to help soothe the senses
- Hot Gin Toddy: a twist on the classic toddy, consisting of lemon, sugar and gin infused with hot water, and garnished with a cinnamon stick in a martini glass
- SIX GIN and Juice: combining the much-loved winter berry, cranberry juice, with gin, served with a garnish of rosemary in a small latte glass